How High Is Too High?

Photos were posted on 07 Nov 2010 at 5:46pm

I just bought these fab pair of heels (guilt free and on sale if the boyfriend asks) online after eyeing them for the longest time. When they arrived in the post (I couldn’t get my size in the shops…the curse of havin’ size 8 feet!).

My mouth dropped open when I saw the height on them…I’ve often measured my sister’s heels in protest of how high they are…black pots and kettles come to mind…these babies are HIGH! 15cm to be exact, though you would not know it from the picture!

Back in the days if you were lucky you would have bought a pair of heels no higher than 5cm, fast forward to 2010 and the sky is the limit.

So. What do you think is fashion getting a bit ridiculous with the ‘how high is too high’ Heels? OR is it worth the pigeon steps I and a lot of us will need to take to move from our front door to…anywhere!

I blame the celebrities!

P.S: Can anyone suggest what colour dress would go best with my new shoes? So far baby pink has been suggested.

Viewing photos

(read users comments or add a reply)

« Previous Photo Next Photo »

You are viewing image number 1 of total 4 images.

« Previous Photo Next Photo »

You are viewing image number 2 of total 4 images.

« Previous Photo Next Photo »

You are viewing image number 3 of total 4 images.

« Previous Photo Next Photo »

You are viewing image number 4 of total 4 images.

• madam social

it depends on how high u want it or feel comfortable in. i can’t wear anytin above 3′inches

• Kin

I think gray will go good with this shoe but as long as the shoe matches your purse, it don’t matter the color of dress

sazzy akinola Reply:

not a big fan of the old match shoe and bag its all about a clash now! i’d do a fuschia pink none textured clutch or even sunshine yellow!

Adjoa Nbaaso) Reply:

Yea, right.Am thinking the sunshine would work well.You dont want to wear something too dull but rather very bright to make your shoe stand out.(No competition between dress and shoes)

sazzy akinola Reply:

Its funny how desensitized we are to high heels now, try dragging out a pair of ‘heels’ from three years ago you’ll be so ashamed of how low they seem even though back then you thought you were breaking boundaries wearing them.

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 6 Thumb down 0

marian Reply:

That is soo true.I have some shoes like that and it is also very pointed.but now even if they r high,they are comfortable to wear.

yeahh so true and i wonder what happened to them lol..

• shanty

for me my highest is 5.75”, cant go above dat,

• Adjoa Nbaaso)

I dont think its getting ridiculous..I personally shop online for my heels and its sometimes surprising how low a heel looks in a picture but very high when you see them physically.Its a waste of time and money going for exchange so I practice walking in them at home.Thats the secret , Practice, make sure you feel comfortable and off you go.Oh, and one last thing, I usually go for heels with platforms, they are the best, they dont make your feet hurt.

SassyChic Reply:

Yes I agree with you on those two points Adjoa, it surely a waste of time lookin’ on the net. Those grey ones are ALOT taller in reality than they seem but they are gorgeous so I’ll just do my practice walk around the flat! ;-) Also I justified this purchase with the logic of the platform. Thanks for stopping by!

Adjoa Nbaaso) Reply:

Anytime sassy, we rockin ur site like nobody’s biz…lol

marian Reply:

yes, with platform.oooh they r soo comfortable to wear.I like that.

i love plat form shoes.. it makes it soo easy to walk in..

• gossipmama

SassyChic, Good post. Actually, I do not like Heels as you know but I think this one is too High. I do not mind anything below 2.5 inches but FLATS all the way!

marian Reply:

To be frank with u, flat makes me feel short but hey, i wear them anyway. You won’t get them.trust me.lol

• islander

i love really high heels! these are just 6 inches! want them!

SassyChic Reply:

Hi islander, are you UK based? These lovely heels are from River Island. They have just re-released this style in a pastel pink. The grey is better I think.

• maame

they are super cute! But it will look good with all black..

marian Reply:

Hey !! u r my girl. Sure,all black.I love black

marian Reply:

I love high heels too n as long as there is a platform,deal with it.Those shoes r cute.

• http://www.twitter.com/yomiadu Yomi

as long as its comfy, the higher the better ;)

• sazzy akinola

Aim high baby! as long as there is a platform at the front, and there is your in!

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 4 Thumb down 0

work it gurl.. work it lol

• 9javatar

Lovely shoes, I like to match wiv a clutch but if this seems old skool u can match with jewelry maybe some nice vintage stuff or statement cuffs, earings and/or necklace of the same colour or just a hint depending on who bold u r. Some people mix it up and depending on how confident u r u can get away wiv ecclectic style. As for the rule on how high, I’ve bought pretty shoes that are now antiques which I bring out and look @ from time to time and admire but they are uncomfortable to wear and that’s the keyword, because some shoes are high but still surprisingly comfortable. I tried a pair on today @ Barratts and was surprised @ how comfy they were and I’m currently salivating over the prospect of owning them. However if u don’t mind discomfort, The Sky’s the Limit!!!!

true girl

• maame

is that miley cyrus in the 3rd pic? she is getting buff.. which is soo nasty.. to be a girl and nasty is like being a guy and getting curvy..

• http://www.thisisthediaryofanotmadblackwoman.wordpress.com author:thisisthediaryofanotmadblackwoman

I don’t think it’s ridiculously high. The platform nature of the shoe (it’s bulky at the toes and not just at the heels) allows for comfort whilst in them. Got a couple like that and contrary to what folk think when they see u in it – i could wear them the entire length of work!

• Miyagi

Wear what makes you feel like you, and what you feel comfortable in. That way no matter what it is you will shine from the inside out because YOU feel good about what you have on- not everyone else. If heels make you feel confident, sexy, and happy, then wear them and work it girl! If you are going to put them on and worry all day what people think though, I’d hold off until you are a tad more comfortable- it’s not the style that makes you look good it’s you that makes the style look good. So if you feel good and are confident you will look great (and not awkward) but if you let what others have said get to you people will feel off of those insecurities and you’ll never feel like wearing heels again! I’d say go out and work it girl! Confidence is key! :) I hope I was able to help- and I hope everyone at school is jealous of your new style, edge, and confidence! :)